There are days when I am very happy without knowing why. Days when I am happy to be alive and breathing, when my whole being seems to be one with the sunlight, the color, the odors, the luxuriant warmth of some perfect sunny day. I live for these days, and on these days I like to wander alone into strange and unfamiliar places.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Arbor-trary Dilemma

I do not know where to put my tree.

But this is the least of my problems. I found the perfect tree at Home Depot the other day, but didn't have time to nab it and run. It was still there when I revisited the store the following day, but I still had quite a few errands to run, and I didn't want the poor tree to be bashed about for hours on end. Also, upon closer inspection, I realized the "perfect" tree had little chunks missing out of some lower branches and that it was already cut and in a stand. I wondered if this would affect how long the tree would live, so I read the "care for you tree" tag, and it listed a dozen or so things to do to keep the tree alive. This included cutting two inches off the bottom just before putting it in the stand, and that's when I panicked.

I am about the worst plant keeper you'll ever meet. I can kill a cactus in a month. So how am I supposed to keep a whole tree alive for the next 20 days? Okay, so the simple solution would be to just wait to get a tree until Christmas is closer. Easy. But...I want to get my full enjoyment of said tree. Since I'm leaving after Christmas to celebrate New Years in San Diego, I'll have to take the tree down (or put it on my porch) before I leave. So I want the tree to fill my apartment with festive cheer for as long as possible.

For the past two years, I've gotten a tiny potted tree, but since my parents will be here this year, I want the real deal. I could get a larger potted tree, but I don't know if I like the look of the tree in a large pot. Plus, they all tilted to the extreme. So I think I want a mid-sized tree to put in a stand, but that goes back to me having to keep the thing alive until Christmas. Then there's the problem of placement. I originally wanted the tree to be in my large window, so that between that and the porch lights, I'd have a whole Christmas scene. However, this is rather near the fireplace (which I don't use, but will inevitably use on Christmas). And by near, I mean three feet between the two, but still. I'm paranoid. Plus that would block my dvds, which we'll need on Christmas Day. So now I'm thinking of moving the game stand that's by my t.v., and putting the tree between the t.v. and my bedroom door. This could work provided the tree isn't too chubby. Or I could block my desk area with it, but then I won't be able to get to my new computer that will be put together next weekend.

I wonder if I could hang it from the ceiling...



And on another note, it's snowing, and anyone who knows me knows how much I dread driving in the snow. So it's looking like it will be Tuesday or Wednesday until I can go safely transport a tree back to my less-than-tree-friendly apartment. The snow is severely cutting into my Christmas tree enjoyment time, but it sure does get me in the Christmas spirit! Ah well, it's time to decorate!

image courtesy of bootsnail

1 comment: