There are days when I am very happy without knowing why. Days when I am happy to be alive and breathing, when my whole being seems to be one with the sunlight, the color, the odors, the luxuriant warmth of some perfect sunny day. I live for these days, and on these days I like to wander alone into strange and unfamiliar places.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Books!

Oh hello blog, how are you? I don't have much to say these days, but thanks to a certain someone for sending this my way so I could actually do a blog post :-) 


Books are some of my best friends...

* 1 – best book you read last year
Hm...that would have to be Spook...a wonderfully told story of someone trying to find something to believe in.


* 2 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times
I reread all of my books many, many times, which is why I prefer buying them over borrowing. A few that I've reread the most (we're talking 100+ times) include the Giver, Dicey's Song, the Awakening, and Silver.


* 3 – Your favorite series
As a child I loved the Thoroughbred series, but now I don't tend to read series of books so much. I suppose the last series I read was not really a series, but more of a saga about a family (the Tillermans) by Cynthia Voigt.


* 4 – Favorite book of your favorite series
That would be Homecoming.

* 5 – A book that makes you happy
I'm happy reading, so any book I enjoy. I don't tend to read happily ever after tales. But let's say As You Like It.


* 6 – A book that makes you sad
If I don't feel for the characters, it's not a good book. But we'll say After the Rain and Interpreter of Maladies.


* 7 – Most underrated book
Oh gosh...I don't tend to read "popular" stuff anyways, so I don't know if it would be underrated or not. Let's say Emily Dickinson's whole collection of poetry. It was underrated in her time at least.


* 8 – Most overrated book 
That I've actually read? Probably Midnight's Children. It wasn't Rushdie's best. 
 

* 9 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving 
Gravity's Rainbow. It was a rocky, rough, and painful start, but I got sucked in and finished it quickly.

* 10 – Favorite classic book
Ohhhh....classics. Has to be the Catcher in the Rye and Wuthering Heights.


* 11 – A book you hated
The Great Gatsby. UGH!!!!


 * 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore
Hm. It's hard to unlove a book, so I'm going to do the reverse and list a book that I didn't like the first time I read it (or second) but now I love, and that is Brave New World.


* 13 – Your favorite writer
Oh so many...I literally can't choose one. But we'll say T.S. Eliot, Emily Dickinson, Oscar Wilde, and Paul Auster.


* 14 – Favorite book of your favorite writer
In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster. I've read it five times now...it's better each time.


* Day 15 – Favorite male character
Hm. I don't tend to attach to characters: I attach to the story...but for the sake of the post: Dorian Gray.


* Day 16 – Favorite female character
Dicey in Homecoming.


* 17 – Favorite quote from your favorite book
Again, too many to track, but I particularly like: "I would give up the unessential; I would give my money, I would give my life for my children; but I wouldn't give myself. I can't make it more clear; it's only something which I am beginning to comprehend, which is revealing itself to me." ~from the Awakening

* 18 – A book that disappointed you
I really wanted to like the Harry Potter series. But I barely got through the first one and couldn't take any more. Oh well!


* 19 – Favorite book turned into a movie
Gosh. So many books turned into movies...but most are crappy versions! I loved Oil, but hated There Will Be Blood. However,  I liked Jurassic Park and love the movie.


* 20 – Favorite romance book
Well. Let's go with love story, and that would be Wuthering Heights.


* 21 – Favorite book from your childhood
Oh dear...toughest question yet! How about the Giving Tree, Silver Eyes, Remember Me, Izzy Willy-Nilly, and all sorts of horse books.

* 22 – Favorite book you own
The Giver.


* 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
I want to read the Stranger, by Albert Camus, and the Wilding by Benjamin Percy.

* 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
The Wedding Dress by Fanny Howe.


* 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Probably Dicey in Seventeen Against the Dealer.

* 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
The Jungle.


* 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
The Dark Garden.


* 28 – Favorite title
On Bullshit.


* 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Well. I know I keep repeating titles, but I don't know many people who are in love with the Awakening the way I am.


* 30 – Your favorite book of all time
Impossible to choose. But the title that has most affected me is the Giver. 

"A book is a gift you can open again and again."

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna post this too! I can't believe you hated Great Gatsby. Might be disowning you now...... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I liked Great Gatsby! Definitely want to read Spook as well as a few others on your list. I knew you couldn't resist filling out this survey ;)

    ReplyDelete