There are days when I am very happy without knowing why. Days when I am happy to be alive and breathing, when my whole being seems to be one with the sunlight, the color, the odors, the luxuriant warmth of some perfect sunny day. I live for these days, and on these days I like to wander alone into strange and unfamiliar places.

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Dipsea Race

While flying home from St. John, I ran across an article in the latest Runner's World magazine about a race in Mill Valley, CA called the Dipsea Race. The pictures are what first snagged my attention, but when I started reading about the race, I fell in love and just knew I had to partake.

The race is the oldest cross-country running race in the country and has been taking place for over 100 years. Every year in June, 1500 runners are allowed to compete for the numbered t-shirts that are given to the top 35 runners, and each runner has an equal chance due to handicaps for race times and age groups. Winners include a nine year old girl and a 70 year old man.

The 7.4 mile race begins on a flat, quarter mile stretch before you have to ascend 676 stairs (ouch). Then you have to travel over areas called "Suicide" and "Cardiac Hill" with much of the trail covered in protruding roots. Some of the trail narrows so that its space only allows for one runner at a time to go through. There are some options involved as well, and shortcuts are allowed (but you have to find your way back to the trail!).

The race ends in a long stretch through windy, hilly moors to end up at the Pacific Ocean. Sound like fun? Well, it does to me!

The Trail Map.

Part of the Dipsea Race stairs:

image by Rick Rodriguez

The Ladder:

image by Jane Heber

Side of the hill coming out of the woods:

image from the "Sacramento Bee"

The last part of the trail before hitting the ocean:

image from muddybike.com

So here's the catch. The race only allows for 1500 runners each year, and they get up to 3000 applicants. The top 450 runners earn a spot in the next year's race, and then 500 are chosen from the first applications in (and you cannot hand-deliver your application). This method favors local residents (as in, they start accepting the next year's application on March 16th, and not before, and tend to receive way more than the 500 needed on that day). Then 100 entries are chosen with a silent auction, and 100 are chosen based on "bribes" (money donations over the $60 entry fee). Another 300 runners are picked through the Dipsea lottery, which is simply a random drawing. Two spots are available the night before the race at the Annual Dipsea Race Foundation Banquet where you can bid on the race numbers, starting at $500 each.

The other way you can get into the race is by sending in an essay or story that will get you noticed by the selection committee. I think that is my best bet to get in. I'm going to send my application overnight so that it gets there on the opening date, but I want to accompany it with a story based on the area where the race is held. I also want to include a significant monetary donation as well. I've got about ten months to do this, so here's hoping!

In the meantime, I can work on stairs and serious hills. The mileage is fine, but somehow I don't think "Suicide" routes will be easy. I'm also going to research shortcuts...

Wish me luck, and visit The Dipsea Race for more info.

Read this runner's account of his first Dipsea.

3 comments:

  1. If you go, I will too, and be at the finish line to give you a hug! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds frickin' fantastic :) get 'em! and if you need a proofreader, well, you know where to find me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thi would be quite an adventure! I also think that a field trip might be in order...just to scope things out first hand and to get a feel for the terrain. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete